To file notices of security interest, you must log in to the website, whether you are a user of a client account or a one-time user who has pre-paid fees. Once you log in, you will be on a Home page from which you can select the action you want to do. If you want to file an initial notice of security interest, select the Notice of Security Interest/ Notice of Lien option to go to the File Initial Notice screen. The registration screens are quite simple and intuitive to use.
The Filing Type Initial Notice screen has five tabs that you can choose in any order.
- The first tab that is displayed when you open the screen is automatically filled with information about you or your company or institution and the type of notice you are registering. There is a “Add Registrant As Secured Party” button below the name and address of the registering party (you or your company) that you may press if the secured party is the same as the registering party. If you press this button, you may then bypass the Secured Party tab. The lapse date of the Notice will be set to 5 years from the current date by default.
- The second tab is the Debtors tab. It is used to enter one or more debtors, that is, the obligors on the obligation. To add a debtor, first click the Add Additional Party button to open the add screen. Then select the type of debtor to be added.
In all cases, provide the debtor’s address in the address fields. Once all information has been entered, click the Update button to save the entry. If there are two or more debtors, you can continue to add debtors by clicking the Add Additional Party button after you have added a debtor’s information.
- If a debtor is a company or organization, enter its name exactly as it appears on the records of the national or state Corporation Filing Office where it is registered.
- If a debtor is an individual, enter his or her name, gender, and birthdate.
- The third tab is the Secured Party tab. It is used to enter one or more secured parties. If you have not marked the registering party as the secured party in the first tab, or if there are additional secured parties, click the Add Additional Party button to open the add screen. Enter the secured party’s name and address in the indicated fields. Once all information has been entered, click the Update button to save the entry. If there are more secured parties, you can continue to add them by clicking the Add Secured Party button.
- The fourth tab is the Collateral tab. It is used to enter a description of the personal property that secures the obligation. The description of the collateral may be general or specific, so long as it informs a person who reads it whether particular property is covered by the security interest. There are three ways in which you can enter collateral information, and you may use any one, two or all three of them.
- You may enter a narrative description of any length in the text box.
- You may attach a PDF file containing a description of the collateral.
- You may enter one or more vehicle serial numbers and/or parcel numbers as collateral. The serial number for a motor vehicle is the number etched on the body of the vehicle by the manufacturer. It is not a licence plate number. The parcel number for a filing that relates to an interest in a building or other covered interest in land could be either the book and folio number of the land, or the lease number, whichever is applicable. To add additional rows for serial/parcel number, click the "Add Serial/Parcel Number” button on the filing toolbar. Please see section 23 23 of the Act with regard to the need to enter a vehicle serial number or parcel number.
- The fifth tab is the Other Information tab. It is used to enter any additional information deemed relevant to the filing. You may enter a narrative description of any length in the text box.
Once all filing information has been entered, you may press “Review” on the filing to review all filing details. If the filing looks correct upon review, then press the “Confirm” button to submit the filing. Otherwise, press the “Edit” button to return to the tabbed form and make corrections.
Upon submitting the filing, a filing confirmation page will be displayed. This page contains all information on the filing and may be printed. It also contains an Access Number associated with the filing number. The Access Number is required to submit change filings for the initial filing. This number is confidential and should not be provided to any other person, including debtors on the filing. Filers should make sure they retain the Access Number in their files.